Win 8

Some of us love those electrons just a little too much
Arathena
kNight of the Sun (oxymoron)

Re: Win 8

Post by Arathena »

Have either of you tinkered with the various programs to strip away Metro and install a start menu? Not gonna lie, closed environment philosophies aside, I DESPISE having my UI puke all over my 'rest screen'/desktop, and actually, don't really even like the idea of a desktop. The Not-Metro UI is about 95% of my problem with it. At home, I keep my desktop completely free of icons other than the recycle bin - I actually used to run LiteStep without any docks just to have a bare screen.
Archfiend Arathena Sa`Riik
Poison Arrow
Garrdor
Damnit Jim!

Post by Garrdor »

MS hasn't come out with anything worthwhile since WinXP Pro.

Win 8 sucks, just as 7 and vista and all the other garbage. Fucking resource hogging fluff. New tech trends are retarded. FUCKKKK
Didn't your mama ever tell you not to tango with a carrot?
Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Post by Freecare Spiritwise »

No, I haven't installed any type of de-Metro-fyer. It doesn't get in my way much. When the system boots, I just click on the desktop tile, and any time after that I can switch back and forth by tapping the Windows key. It's really only 1 keystroke to go to the start screen and search for something. It's not even an annoyance, and I don't really miss the Start button.

As much as Microsoft wants people to view Windows 8 as some radical paradigm shift, it's really just an incremental update over Windows 7. It's the same OS with a few tweaks and a missing button.
Ddrak
Save a Koala, deport an Australian

Post by Ddrak »

I hate the caps too. Really, I don't need my tabs shouting at me!

@Ara: http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... tart-menu/

I would like the Metro home screen a lot more if it didn't fill up like crazy on my installs. Gotta say I do like "Steam Tile" though - lets you make tiles of your Steam games.

Also nice Win8 hotkey list here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hyperyash/archi ... tcuts.aspx

Dd
Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Agreed about the start screen. Their idea of flattening out the UI was just to dump everything on one screen. But that hasn't been an issue for me because the search is so good. I don't even look for an icon - I just start typing its name until I see it pop up in the results.
Ddrak

Post by Ddrak »

Yep, use search all the time too (Win-Q and Win-W are killer). Absolutely the best thing from Win7 and now Win8 for power users.

:)

Dd
Arathena

Post by Arathena »

Freecare Spiritwise wrote:Agreed about the start screen. Their idea of flattening out the UI was just to dump everything on one screen. But that hasn't been an issue for me because the search is so good. I don't even look for an icon - I just start typing its name until I see it pop up in the results.
We'll get back to the CLI yet.
Poison Arrow
Arathena

Post by Arathena »

Well, now that I've been dicking around with it for a few days, my basic impression is that it does everything except the UI right. The smartphone application model on a desktop PC is boneheadedly moronic, asinine, and whoever made the decision to prevent desktop users from canning a "Modern" UI app into a window on the desktop should be drug out into the street, shot, and eaten by rabid cows. This isn't my smart phone, I want to be able to look at more than one/two things at a time, even if my window size ratio is fixed.
Poison Arrow
Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Agreed. Microsoft would say 'uniformity' where I would say 'lowest common denominator.'

Metro doesn't get in my way, though, day-to-day. My machine boots up, I click on the desktop tile, and that's the extent of my interaction with it. To me, Windows 8 is just an optimized Windows 7 that misplaced the Start button. Just the fact that it's leaner and meaner is enough for me to overlook the other B.S. So is the fact that it's new and I'm a technologist. It's either work with the latest shit, or step aside and let some kid like Tax replace me, and I'm not ready to be put out to pasture yet ;)
Ddrak

Post by Ddrak »

whoever made the decision to prevent desktop users from canning a "Modern" UI app into a window on the desktop should be drug out into the street, shot, and eaten by rabid cows.
This.

All they needed to do was allow the Metro apps to go to a fixed aspect ratio window. What's the bet Win9 does exactly that? Metro is just broken right now on multi-monitor setups. :(

Dd
Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

I read somewhere that if Windows 8 tanks, Ballmer is out.
Arathena

Post by Arathena »

Ddrak wrote:
whoever made the decision to prevent desktop users from canning a "Modern" UI app into a window on the desktop should be drug out into the street, shot, and eaten by rabid cows.
This.

All they needed to do was allow the Metro apps to go to a fixed aspect ratio window. What's the bet Win9 does exactly that? Metro is just broken right now on multi-monitor setups. :(

Dd

I've been looking for a place to provide feedback to Microsoft - Voice of the Customer, and all that. tbh, I expect that if enough people scream, it won't find its way into Win9 - It'll find it's way into Win8 SP1.
Poison Arrow
Arathena

Post by Arathena »

Or if there won't be a SP1, an update or whatever. Who knows.
Poison Arrow
Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Good luck with that. They bet the farm on Metro.
Fallakin Kuvari
Rabid-Boy

Post by Fallakin Kuvari »

And Dell. :lol:
Warlord Fallakin Kuvari - 85 Wood Elf Warrior, Brell Serilis forever.
Grandmaster Nikallaf Kuvari - 70 Iksar Monk.
Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Fallakin Kuvari wrote:And Dell. :lol:
Well, they did bring Apple back from extinction, but I honestly wished they would've just let Dell die the horrible death it deserves. Can't fucking stand Dell.
Ddrak

Post by Ddrak »

I'm betting they want Dell private so they can get the to produce MS-specific hardware. Microsoft wants to be Apple now that Apple has become Microsoft.

Dd
Fallakin Kuvari
Rabid-Boy

Post by Fallakin Kuvari »

Ddrak wrote:I'm betting they want Dell private so they can get the to produce MS-specific hardware. Microsoft wants to be Apple now that Apple has become Microsoft.

Dd
This.
Warlord Fallakin Kuvari - 85 Wood Elf Warrior, Brell Serilis forever.
Grandmaster Nikallaf Kuvari - 70 Iksar Monk.
Freecare Spiritwise
Grand Pontificator

Microsoft is absolutely trying to be a hardware company. I don't see why either. Hardware is a messy business compared to software.
Ddrak

Post by Ddrak »

I'm guessing they think the reason they've been largely unsuccessful in the tablet/phone market compared to Apple is they have no control over the quality of the hardware.

Dd